Thursday, March 30, 2006

Love is?

What an interesting day I have had. My “in” box of work was full to overflowing, so I came in early to delete some of the chores I had to do, before I got more chores to do. Well, that didn't work out. Waiting on my doorstep was more work to do. Which, if I were to be a nice guy, I would have to do first. Since I am pre-disposed to being nice…now I am working franticly to expunge the workload. When ten o'clock came around I stopped to check out Tim and Jerry’s Experimental Blog and decided to pen a few words, well not “pen” actually “process” a few words. My how our language has twisted.

I wish I could just come in and "delete" my chores! Ha ha ha! I think you've demonstrated another way the language has changed. We "delete" items off our to-do list. At our house, we "pause" board games. Ah, the computer age.

“THEY” have twisted it by just accepting misappropriated words; take for instance the word love. "I love my new truck", "I love Italian food", and "I love my wife" are all said with the same breath. Reality is that my new truck I find handy and usable, Italian food is extremely enjoyable, and I adore my wife. Accuracy is lost in the word love; this is so deplorable for love has some of the most noble of features. Love is sacrificing, sometimes to the death. Love can help someone endure great suffering. It inspires kindness, prepares our food, and fills our souls with contentment. For me, Love is above all and undeniably the most important aspect of my life.

You won't get any argument from me with stuff like that! I couldn't agree more.

Herein contained are more thoughts you may just love?

Egads, what a sentence!

Love is never having to say you’re sorry”, according to some brainless philosopher. The truth is Love is saying you’re sorry for everything for any micro-compulsion of distaste. For example:

Hmmmm... I'm not sure about that. Perhaps the brainless philosopher meant to say that Love means never requiring an apology. I'm not sure about a relationship in which one must continually be apologizing for every "micro-compulsion of distaste".
“I’m sorry I didn’t say ‘excuse me’ when I farted.”
“I’m sorry I said ‘farted’ in mixed company
.”

“I’m sorry I reacted poorly to your tirade.”
“I’m sorry I said tirade when I should have said … something kinder.” (Really there is no kinder word)

“I’m sorry you mistook my exuberance for anger.”
“I’m sorry you are right, I was angry.

Oh my, that hits close to home.

But of course that second statement is really a lie. When you say that, you are just trying to get out of the conversation without really dealing with the larger issue which caused your exuberance to be mistaken for anger. Trust me, I've been there.

There is an evil Me. I keep him pinned up inside and only allow him to talk if I need some humor in my life.

Evil Me might say.

“Yes I farted, and what did you want me to do, hold it until I went all Hindenburg on you?”

“Oh, I understand, there is only one person in this family who is allowed to erupt like the mouth of Mt. St. Helens.”

“It was exuberance, I only said it was anger to shut your pie hole.”

There now, the "Evil You" speaks the real truth!

If my wife is reading this, none of these refer in anyway to you…that is, I’m sorry that you thought in any way, shape, or form that these statements were referring to you. O.K. I apologize for intimating you’re anything less than the perfect person you are. Forgive me?

Carole, I think Jerry needs some time in the "Pain Room". Several hours should suffice, and turn up the Neural Neutralizer.

Open mouth, process foot. Evil Me be quiet now.

All this reminds me of that old Star Trek episode where Kirk gets split into his "good" half and his "evil" half. As I recall he needed both sides to function well.

Here is another way to say it:

If I speechify with the words that inspire men to greatness, and have not love I am as significant as a butterfly’s belch at Niagara Falls.

If I could foretell of future disasters, and understand puzzles and figure everything out; and don’t love, I am a pimple on the butt of humanity. If I could ask God to move a mountain and He did it; without love I am less than road kill.

If I was rich and gave it all away to help someone in need, and actually ran into a burning house to find my neighbors cat. At the same time if I didn’t love the right way, my burning up means nothing.

Love puts up with someone. Love gives you a Popsicle on a hot day. Love doesn’t want what someone else has got, or brag about the stuff he has or thinks of himself as a “betterthanyou”.

Love is not pushing his way in, just looking to get, or is he easy to get mad, and when he is mad he shrugs his shoulders and lets by-gones be by-gones.

Love is sad when the someone gets hurt, but when someone gets smarter, he’s as happy as a dog in a dumpster.

Love stands in front of someone in danger, goes out on a limb for someone, wants only good things to happen for others, and sticks it out to the end.

When you love someone everyone always wins.

This is a complete knock-off of First Corinthians Chapter Thirteen, verses 1 through 8a.
For the real thing read
this.

Excellent!

I don’t think God has his nose up at me, for re-saying it this way.


Love is grand.

P.S. I finished writing this at lunch time, and I am mostly caught up with my work.



1 Comments:

Blogger Daydream believer said...

Well...my comment is that I felt compelled to leave a hello. I saw that you wandered into my space. Nice idea I suppose -- dualing for space in the blogville!

Happy Thursday!

7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home