Thursday, March 02, 2006

Things That Make Dead People Cry

Greetings to all who read this.

Here Tim and Jerry spout off about the state of the world, and other matters. Jerry's blue and Tim is green. Have truer words ever been written?

On the list of things that make dead people cry, coming in pretty high on the list is an out-of-control drunken Irishman claiming St. Patrick his patron saint. St. Patrick chased serpents out of Ireland -- it may have been better if he'd chased out the spirits.

Mardi Gras (or “Fat (Show the Real Me) Tuesday” as I like to call it) is another. This day aches the soul of the people who try to be as good as they can all the time. Who are the dead people that are crying? Everyone that tried to live a life pleasing to his or her creator.



I'm with you on this one. I just don't get the way they're talking about Mardi Gras now. A lot of people cavorting naked and drunken in the streets. Crime and debauchery. I'm supposed to feel good because the poor battered people of New Orleans are able to do this? Oh look, that poor woman who lost her possessions is dancing in the street bearing her breasts! Good for her! Oh, and that man who lost everything is drunk, dressed like a whore and stumbling through the crowd! Wonderful! I can see why prostitutes (and their clientelle), alcoholics and crooks like to go, but why should we hold this up and some great tradition?

The fine speeches given by the irrepressible civil rights leaders at the funeral for Coretta Scott King had her husband Martin Luther King and Abraham Lincoln in a spin. The funeral was for her not her movement, although….

Hmmm... not sure where you're going with that Jerry. Please expound. Maybe we can make that a topic for a future post. What did they say?

On the brighter side, my church has a bell that tolls when we are in church. Not calling us to church, but rather tolls to let those who are not in church know: We are learning how to be better people here. Come join us.

Hmmm... Is that what we are doing in church -- learning to be better people? It's sometimes difficult for me to see that happening. It seems like very little progress has been made after 2000 years of "learning to be better people". I wonder if that's really the message being transmitted by that bell? If a church bell tolls in a city and no one hears, does it make any noise at all?

Yes, God hears it and he is happy because of all the people inside learning to become better people. Is it so hard to find the joy, even in church?

Good verses evil? People who are trying to be good, verses people who don’t care how what they do affects those around them? I can’t seem to get a good picture.

It's you and me verses the rest of the world Jerry, and guess who's winning?

When those whom you love and know to be good give you what seems like insurmountable grief, are they evil? They are trying to do what they feel is best.

Oh my, have I been there. Yes, Jerry, there is evil here.

"those you love" -- that's good. "...and know to be good" -- that's good. "give you grief" -- that may not be good in and of itself, but it can't be avoided and can work for good. "doing what they feel is best" -- well, that's usually good, even when it's misguided. The really evil part is in the phrase "seems like insurmountable". It's hooked tail is in "seems like" and it's bloody horns come out in "insurmountable". And it lurks in you and me. How do you like that?

Argh!


I couldn't agree more.

Once again I find myself in a state of confusion the size of Texas. That’s enough room for a lot of people… care to join?

I'm living there and trying to leave!

But I suspect it's the same all over.

After reading this post again I came to the conclusion I am in a funk. Life is too short.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home